She is the best thing that has ever happened to him…
The first thing we want to say to you is that you can do this. You are not alone. And… one day you can look back and think, “This kid is the best thing that ever happened to me.” We hear that a lot around here. So take a deep breath and let’s figure some things out… together.
Once she’s missed a period, everything can change – fast. What happens next may be her decision, but most women really care where their guy is coming from. Here are a few steps to making the best choice for both of you – together.
- Make sure she’s pregnant. Offer to go with her to the appointment.
- Learn about your options. She’s carrying the baby, but suddenly you are both parents. What does that mean?
- Listen to her thoughts & feelings. What excites her? What does she fear?
- Share your thoughts & feelings. If you aren’t sure how to start, say something like “when you told me your period was late, I felt ____, because ____. Now that I’ve had a little time to think about it, & hear what you are saying, I feel ____, because ____.” Consider talking with others who are close to you too.
- Let her know how important she is to you. Don’t pressure her about the pregnancy or check out. Instead, commit to exploring your options together and getting whatever help you need to make your relationship better than ever.
Process what pregnancy means for you & her. Contact us to talk with someone who understands.
PROTIPS TO KEEP YOU SANE…
Don’t be ashamed…
Life happens. You have a choice now to do the right thing. No, you don’t have to marry her (today) but you will be connected for the rest of your life by this little human. Make the best of it. Be her friend. Hold her hand.
This is your kid…
Be involved. Seriously! You are going to have many years of life with this human. Start now to make time to understand what it means to be a good dad. Find your groove and don’t let anyone tell you how to do it. This is your journey together and you’ve got this!
You can do this…
Many, many guys have been in your shoes. Being a dad is not easy but it isn’t rocket science either! Take a class. Watch your uncle, your soccer coach, your best friend. Whoever you admire. Ask questions and don’t stop trying to learn. It will be worth it.